Create-your-own-adventure-book Weekends



So I know I haven't written much. If anything actually ... on here. But it's only because I have had little to no internet connectivity for the last few months. See, I'm off work for summer. Or at least I was until today. And I don't pay for internet at my studio ... cause I'm not normally there.

Point of post: I had the best summer ever. And I have a new little trick to thank for it. The Create-your-own-adventure-book-weekend. Do you remember when you were a kid and you read those Create Your Own Adventure books? Every chapter ended with a choice and it would lead you to different outcomes? And one of the coolest parts was that you could only make one choice at a time, because you didn't know what choice you would have to make as a result of your immediate decision? Looking ahead wasn't really an option. Well I decided to live that way this summer. It really started during the 4th of July with the help of a willing (and licensed) friend. But June really can't be left out, because it gave me motivation, incentive, and ... disaster. So here is a little recap of my recent exploits and how I've started to really have fun with myself again ...

In June I adventured in both love and travel. I went with a long-term-relationship-thing-of-sorts down to Costa Rica. Costa Rican streets don't have street signs. And I was the designated navigator. I came home, tan, tired, a minorly better surfer, and happy. Did I mention tired?

In July I adventured in finding myself. Sounds cheesy? Well it was. I did a whole shit ton of yoga. And a whole lot of reconnecting with old friends, which in a way, is like reconnecting with yourself. I played with the whole concept of being single in your 20's ... and found it suited me more than I had thought it would. Kind of like living alone did. Actually, a whole lot like living alone did. Basically, I not only survived the change, but seemed to find a way to thrive from it. I mean, I missed my relationship, but I realized I'd spent a lot of time previously just missing myself. And there has to be a way to have both ... right?

So over the 4th of July weekend my old-new-old friend and I lived out of a bag. We ended up having an amazing time, doing crazy things, and helping each other to find new ways of being unlike ourselves, while actually being totally true to the essence of who it is we are, and who it is we want to be. Cheese-ola? You bet. I'd have some awesome pictures to prove it if I hadn't accidentally drowned my phone and camera in a Miller High Life. True story ... drowned in the high life.

And it's kind of been that way ever since. I took myself out of my comfort zone a week later and went alone on a flight out of town to let someone in who I didn't really know at all. And it was a great week, which gave me a lot of insight into how it is I want to live my life, and what kind of people I want to share it with. I also lost a friend while down there, which solidified my dedication to my new perspective on life even more. If life is what you make of it ... I'm ready to start making it something I want it to be.

After that I spend a week at an environmental educators conference with my dad. Hiking, exploring, and discovering EVEN MORE of who I am, and how it fits into the natural world. Glorified hippie bullshit? YOU BET ... but it was awesome and relaxing and ... defining in a way of my relationship with my father. I am very lucky to have a family that loves me and supports me for who I am, but also helps guide me as I become more of who I WANT to be.

And now, I'm back. Back at work. Back in a lot of other things I was before. But mostly, I'm back in touch with me. So, thank you friends that have been around this summer. Thank you Ocean. Thank you Yoga. Thank you family. Thank you Adventure Books.

Pura Vida,

Rio

Comments

Popular Posts